"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
-Marilyn Monroe

Friday, April 9, 2010

Laura Letinsky







Laura Letinsky is a contemporary photographer who is famous for her still lifes. She is currently a professor at the University of Chicago and has had many exhibitions all over the world. She has stated that she likes to photograph mundane objects. Often she photographs within the confines of her own home, but she also has a studio where she can create different set-ups. All of her work is meticulously staged and shot with film. She works mostly with natural light.

I think there's this strong sense of minimalism to her work. In her presentation at my university on this past thursday, she stated that she always has too much stuff lying around. I really wanted to ask her if she would ever consider taking photographs of a more cluttered space. Why so minimalist? Ever since I found out about her work earlier in the semester, she has become one of my favorite photographers. I have never seen still life photography look so beautiful, haunting, and sensual all at once.

No comments: