"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
-Marilyn Monroe

Monday, July 13, 2009

A Lifetime of Gaming

I guess you could say I'm a "fair-weather gamer" because I only play video games when my mood is just right for the occasion. Actually, I have always preferred watching people play games and observing their faces as they struggle through the never-ending challenges. I remember when I was little and we still had the N64 (my favorite gaming console of all time) and I would watch my mom play Zelda or Banjo and Kazooie. I would lie still on the floor next to her or on the futon directly behind and stay as silent as I could. She always played in the evenings and if she forgot I was there I could stay up later. But those times were, in a way, some of our most powerful mother-daughter bonding hours. Though she doesn't play as often now, she still does time to time, but I no longer sit beside her to watch her progress. Now, if I sat there, I know I would only be a hindrance. Our relationship is no longer the completely trusting one of a small child and her mother. It has evolved, like everything does, into a more complex, and, in some ways frustrating connection. But sometimes, silently, when I know she's not watching for me, I stand far back on the stairs and lean against the wall and watch her play. But only when she's not watching. And only when I'm not otherwise occupied as I so often am. I am always watching over her from a distance. She has her pride and I know it, but I will never give up my right as a daughter to watch over my parents and worry about their well-being. As they have always worried about and cared for me, so shall I do in the future.

I realize that this blog has taken a turn for a more shadowy and solemn state of mind, so I will take this chance to remedy the situation and take the subject back to the one originally intended; video games.

I'll list a few of my favorites here in no particular order:
1. Mirror's Edge
2. Prince of Persia
3. Kingdom Hearts I & II
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
6. Banjo and Kazooie
7. Diddy Kong Racing
8. SSX (all)
9. Bioshock (I've never actually played this, but the demo is amazing)
10. Gran Turismo 5: Prologue

My father has a typical male obsession with all high-end electronics. His biggest obsession is with high definition television and with graphics in general. There is nothing he loves more than his HD tv and his blueray player (also the PS3). Oh, and surround sound. For games, he loves Gran Turismo 5: Prologue. I have to tell you, the graphics in this game are to die for!



No comments: